Early in the year 2015, I started the 30 Day Protein Challenge. Within the first week of journaling, it became apparent that I was not getting nearly as much protein as I thought I was. During the second week, I made it a point to incorporate more protein into my diet. And not only more protein, but also more new non-boring, kid-friendly recipes. So, I went on the recipe hunt.
This particular time my hunt led me to the recipe search on www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com. I simply searched kid-friendly recipes that included ground beef. The search yielded Buffalo-Style Beef Tacos, which intrigued me. But, as is usually the case, I didn’t have all of the ingredients the recipe called for. So I improvised.
Buffalo Beef Wraps were a huge hit not only with my ever skeptical of trying new foods husband, but also with the kids!
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter. Always, thaw meat in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 140 degrees.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- Ranch dressing
- Flour tortillas, or wrap of your choice
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef, break up into small pieces, and brown for about 10 minutes, or until the ground beef is no longer pink. Drain, or use paper towels, to rid the ground beef of excess fat. Add the buffalo wing sauce and stir until beef is coated.
- To assemble, spoon buffalo ground beef into a warmed tortilla or wrap, top with lettuce, shredded carrot, celery, drizzle with ranch dressing, wrap it up, and enjoy!