Basically, this Basic Burger is Mr. FFB’s favorite burger that I make. And to be honest, it’s one of my favorites too. It’s super easy to make, doesn’t call for any fancy off-the-wall ingredients, or even require a grill.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good grilled burger, but this is the only burger I’ve ever cooked that I’ve never over or under cooked. Not to toot my own horn but it pretty much comes out perfect every time. Toot!
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter. Thaw in the refrigerator, microwave, or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 145 degrees.
A burger that doesn’t require a grill or any fancy ingredients.
- 1 pound ground beef
- Your favorite seasoning, we use Tom’s Steak Rub
- 4 buns
- Sliced cheese of choice
- Basically anything you like to put on burgers
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal parts. Form patties that are about ½ inch thick. Sprinkle the patties with your seasoning of choice (Tom’s Steak Rub is a good one, hint hint ??) as liberally or scantly as you’d like.
- Heat a large skillet (we like to use cast iron) over high heat. If you aren’t using cast iron or non-stick, but rather stainless steel, add a little oil in the bottom of the skillet to prevent sticking. Once the skillet is hot, add the patties and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely seared.
- Check the internal temperature. If it has reached 160 degrees, you’re good to go. If it’s less than that, put the burgers on a baking sheet and place in a 350-degree oven until the internal temperature reaches 160. I typically like to get a good sear and finish my basic burgers off in the oven.
- Turn the oven off, top the burgers with cheese, leave them in the cooling oven just long enough to start melting the cheese.
- Once the cheese is perfectly melty, remove the burgers from the oven, place them on buns, and add the desired toppings. Enjoy!