This Breakfast Casserole with Homemade Beef Sausage made its first online appearance back in May 2016 on the Simply Annie blog. I connected with Annie, of Simply Annie, in a blogging group made for moms. Anywho, Annie shares a lot of wonderful DIY tips, mixed in with the occasional recipe. That’s how this recipe, a.k.a. my go-to for crew day breakfasts, got to be featured on her blog. Click here to check out Simply Annie.
Now on to the recipe…
One of my duties as a ranchHER is to feed the crews of folks who help us on the days when the work load is more than my husband and I can handle on our own. On a typical crew day, I serve breakfast and a noon meal to the guys and gals who help us out. The food serves as a sort of payment in return for their help, so whatever I fix has got to be good. No pressure, right?
Anyway, this breakfast casserole has become my signature morning meal of choice on crew days. It’s fairly quick and super easy. It can be adjusted to feed the masses. And, it is versatile.
For example, I used to make it with store-bought pork sausage, but one day I didn’t have any pork sausage on hand. I did, however, have ground beef. So, I switched to homemade beef sausage and haven’t looked back.
And besides – the beef sausage adds an extra little layer of hearty character.
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
Always, wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
Never thaw meat on the counter, thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 140 degrees.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups hash browns
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons half ‘n’ half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I use a Colby Jack blend, but cheddar would be great too)
- Stir the garlic powder, onion powder, sage, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Place the ground beef in a large bowl; mix the seasoning into the ground beef with your hands until evenly combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add the ground beef sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together in a large bowl the eggs, sour cream, half ‘n’ half, salt and pepper.
- To assemble, spread the hash browns on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the hash browns. Sprinkle the browned sausage and green onion over the eggs and hash browns. Top with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes in a 375 degree preheated oven. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown and the eggs are only slightly jiggly in the center of the pan. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it stand for 10-15 minutes to allow eggs to set.
- Serve with your choice of toppings; hot sauce, salsa, sour cream, etc. Enjoy!