When you enjoy a good coffee or a latte as much as I do and you live as far from modern amenities (like coffee shops) as we do, it often calls for a certain level of creativity. For those of you who are just tuning in, I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
Our little slice of Sandhills heaven is 40 miles from the nearest gas station, grocery store, and coffee shop. That’s a problem when you have a hankering for a latte and you also do not have that cool little machine that makes the milk all frothy. And let’s face it, it just isn’t the same with un-frothed milk – still tasty, but not the same. I know this because the Poor Woman’s Latte started out as the Coffee Pie.
Named by my friend who thought it tastes like pie in her coffee cup, the Coffee Pie is made with the exact same ingredients. The only difference being the lack of froth. The froth came later, when I it dawned on me that my Stainless Steel Mini Whipper from Pampered Chef fit conveniently into my coffee mug. And thus, the Poor Woman’s Latte, or the Frothy Coffee Pie as my friend refers to it, was born.Print
- 4 tablespoons half and half, more or less if desired
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or more if desired
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- Pour half and half and sugar into your favorite microwave safe coffee mug. Microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and whisk until frothy.
- Pour coffee into mug with half and half, sugar mixture and enjoy.
- Times based on coffee brewed in a Bunn coffee maker.