One-Pot Pasta with Beef & Beans is my adaptation of Bow Tie Pasta with Beef and Beans from The Healthy Beef Cookbook. The changes I made to the recipe were a little bit out of necessity (we did not have all of the ingredients in the original recipe) and a little bit because I was anxious to use some of the fresh green beans I picked from my garden. Both versions are as delicious as they are easy to make!
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter, thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 145 degrees.
One-Pot Pasta with Beef & Beans
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1–15 ounce can navy beans, drained
- 1 pint (or 1–15 ounce can) whole canned tomatoes in juices (I used home canned tomatoes)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry crushed basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry crushed oregano
- 4 cups pasta of your choice (I used rigatoni)
- 2 cups fresh cut green beans
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet (I used my “big daddy” 12 inch skillet), brown ground beef with onions and garlic over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the ground beef is no longer pink. Once ground beef is thoroughly cooked drain, return to skillet, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in navy beans, tomato, beef broth, basil, oregano, and pasta, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes. Stir in green beans and continue to simmer covered until pasta and green beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately sprinkled with Parmesan.