Simply Tasty Chicken Salad is both simple and tasty. And my husband’s favorite. I am talking encourage the kids to not clean their plates so he can eat their share, hoard the leftovers kind of favorite. I think the allure is that it isn’t fancy. He is mostly a less-is-more kind of guy. So, the fact that this chicken salad isn’t all dressed up with cranberries, apples, or nuts really appeals to him.
The allure of this salad for me also lies in the simplicity. If I have Easy Delicious Oven Roasted Chicken on hand, the salad takes me less than 20 minutes to throw together. I love that. And because it is so simple, I (almost) always have the ingredients on-hand. As a result, I don’t have to go running to the store every time I want to make it. And I love that fact because that – that’s a long run.
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always, wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter, thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 145 degrees.
A kid and husband friendly salad that is both simple and tasty.
- 4 cups shredded or diced chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup real mayo
- Salt and pepper
- To a large bowl, preferably one that has a lid, add the chicken, celery, and green onions and toss together.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and mayo until completely combined. Incorporate the salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Serve on toasted bread as a sandwich, or if you’re like me, just eat it straight out of the bowl with a spoon because it is that good.