If you know Mr. FFB, then you know that he doesn’t love trying new recipes with out-of-the-box flavor combinations. And if you know me, then you know I LOVE trying new recipes with out-of-the-box flavor combinations.
He usually grumbles about “sweet and meat” and is typically reluctant to try my new creations. I mean, he always does, but with trepidation instead of enthusiasm. Most of the time he isn’t completely repulsed by what I’ve created and will eat it again. But sometimes, I really surprise him, and he ends up Loving (that’s loving with a capital “L”) the new, out-of-the-box recipes I create. As was the case with these Coca-Cola Shredded Beef Tacos.
Heck, I even surprised myself with how absolutely delicious this one ended up! My surprise was mostly because I made this Coca-Cola shredded beef thinking it would make a good slathered-in-BBQ sauce sandwich. And, it did.
But the combination of the charred corn tortilla, siracha sauce, cheese, and avocado took it to a whole new level. I mean, I’m not usually a huge fan of siracha, but I wouldn’t be sad if someone forced me to eat these tacos every day for a month straight, just sayin’.
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter – instead thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Ground beef must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 145 degrees.
Easy, flavorful tacos that are kid and husband approved!
- 3-pound chuck roast (or whatever roast you have around)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 heaping tablespoons diced chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Corn tortillas, charred or warmed*
- Shredded cheese of choice, we used Gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the roast and sear about 3 minutes on all sides, or until each side is deliciously browned. Reduce the heat to medium, remove the roast from the Dutch oven and set aside for just a little bit.
- Pour in the Coke, stirring to get all the delicious brown bits up off the bottom of the Dutch oven. Put the roast back in, add the onion quarters around the roast, sprinkle the dry ingredients over the roast, cover with the lid, and place it in the preheated oven for one hour.
- At the one-hour mark, turn the roast over and the oven down to 325 degrees. Continue to cook the roast for 2-3 more hours, or until fork tender, turning every hour.
- Once the roast is fork tender, remove it from the oven and let it rest 5-10 minutes before shredding. Shred the roast* and place back in the Dutch oven with the cooking liquids. Give it a good toss and assemble the tacos with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- We like our corn tortilla slightly charred (as seen in the photos). I do this over the flame on our gas cooktop.
- I prefer to take any meat I’m shredding out of the cooking liquid so I can use my fingers (without severely burning them in the liquid) if I need to. 😉