Easy, flavorful tacos that are kid and husband approved!
- 3-pound chuck roast (or whatever roast you have around)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 heaping tablespoons diced chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Corn tortillas, charred or warmed*
- Shredded cheese of choice, we used Gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the roast and sear about 3 minutes on all sides, or until each side is deliciously browned. Reduce the heat to medium, remove the roast from the Dutch oven and set aside for just a little bit.
- Pour in the Coke, stirring to get all the delicious brown bits up off the bottom of the Dutch oven. Put the roast back in, add the onion quarters around the roast, sprinkle the dry ingredients over the roast, cover with the lid, and place it in the preheated oven for one hour.
- At the one-hour mark, turn the roast over and the oven down to 325 degrees. Continue to cook the roast for 2-3 more hours, or until fork tender, turning every hour.
- Once the roast is fork tender, remove it from the oven and let it rest 5-10 minutes before shredding. Shred the roast* and place back in the Dutch oven with the cooking liquids. Give it a good toss and assemble the tacos with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- We like our corn tortilla slightly charred (as seen in the photos). I do this over the flame on our gas cooktop.
- I prefer to take any meat I’m shredding out of the cooking liquid so I can use my fingers (without severely burning them in the liquid) if I need to. 😉