An easy yet delicious hot dish inspired by A Chef’s Life (my fave PBS show).
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 10 1/2-ounce can cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken will work in a pinch)
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk, more if needed
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large potato (very) thinly sliced*
- Shredded Cheese of choice (I use colby jack)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a medium to large skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and the onion, break it up into small pieces, and brown for 8-10 minutes or until the ground beef is no longer pink. Reduce the heat and add the cream of mushroom soup, Velveeta, and milk. Simmer and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is completely combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the cabbage evenly in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Layer the potato slices on top of the cabbage, spread the ground beef mixture over the potatoes, and top with shredded cheese.
- Put it in the oven, bake for 35 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered. Remove the casserole (or should I say hot dish) from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- I use my mandoline slicer to get my potatoes sliced thin enough.