A savory supper on a stick that’s ready to eat in an hour or less.
- 12 sweet mini peppers
- 8 ounces whole button mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 2–10 ounce sirloin steaks, cut to 1 inch thick
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Tom’s Steak Rub (or favorite steak seasoning)
- If you have a set of fancy/handy metal skewers, you can skip this step. But if you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in hot water while you prep.
- Remove the tops off of the sweet mini peppers and slice them at 1 inch lengths. I ended up with roughly 2-1 inch rings per mini pepper.
- If you’ve got mushrooms that are larger than 1 inch across the top of the button, slice them in half. If they are roughly 1 inch or smaller, leave them.
- Cut the ends off your onion. Then cut your onion in half, cut the halves into quarters, and separate the layers.
- Cut the steaks into 1 inch cubes. In theory, you should be able to get six cubes from each steak.
- To assemble, my preferred pattern is onion, steak, pepper, mushroom, onion, steak, pepper, mushroom, onion. But… you can stick (literally) that meat and veg on your skewer any old way you want and place them on a sheet pan.
- Preheat the grill with medium-high heat while you do this next part.*
- Mix the olive oil and steak seasoning in a small bowl. Brush each kabob with the seasoned oil, turn them over, and brush the other side.
- Turn the grill down to medium, place the kabobs on the grill an inch to two inches apart, and cook for 5-7 minutes. Flip the kabobs and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Rinse and repeat until the steak is done to your liking – we like ours medium rare. Remove the kabobs, serve, and enjoy!
Cooking times and temps are based on a gas grill and may vary depending on grill.