A protein-packed salad that offers the perfect combination of sweet, sour, and savory.
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the salad
- 1 head chopped romaine lettuce, or bagged greens of your choice
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise and sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–8 ounce steaks of your choice cut to a ¾ inch thickness (I used New York Strip)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red pear, cut into 16–20 thin slices
- Feta cheese
- Archer Farms Sunny Cranberry Trial Mix from Target
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth. Cover dressing and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Toss together in a large salad bowl the lettuce, cucumber and onion, set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, liberally salt and pepper the steaks. Once oil is hot, place the steaks in the skillet. Cook for 7-9 minutes turning occasionally for medium rare doneness; remove from skillet and place on a cutting board. Let the steak rest for about 5 minutes. Then cut steaks into thin slices.
- Divide lettuce mixture into four serving bowls (you may have more than four servings), top with trail mix, feta cheese, pears, and steak. Pour dressing over the salad and serve.
- Depending on my mood, I may choose to grill the steaks versus pan searing them as per the instructions. It’s really however you’d like to cook the steak.