Full disclosure – my husband hates soup. It’s mostly a texture and consistency thing. He prefers hearty meals to soupy ones, so anytime I make a soup of any sort it has to have lots of flavor and substance. And this Beef Sausage & Vegetable Soup is no exception.
The ground beef sausage really takes the flavor to the next level. The veggies offer balance. And the pasta – the pasta helps knock the heartiness factor out of the park. This soup isn’t soupy at all. Now that I think about it, maybe is should really be called a stew.
Not only does this recipe turn out a hearty, flavorful meal, it is also fairly easy to prepare. And another nice thing about this Beef Sausage & Vegetable Soup is the fact that it’s veggie versatile. So, go ahead and feel free to ad lib on the veggies you use, or don’t use. Then let me know if you add anything that really kicks it up a notch. 😉
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter – instead thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 140 degrees.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1-14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups bow-tie pasta, cooked al dente
- In a bowl thoroughly combine, ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, rubbed sage, salt and pepper, making your ground beef sausage.
- Heat a medium to large stockpot over medium-high heat, add the beef sausage, break up into small pieces, and brown for 8-10 minutes or until the beef sausage is no longer pink. Once the sausage is thoroughly cooked, drain and return to heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, oregano, and basil to the stock pot. Give it a stir, making sure all the ingredients are combined. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots and celery are fork tender.
- Add the pasta, give the soup a good stir, remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minute. Serve with homemade bread or crackers. Enjoy!