Let’s take a minute and dissect the various reasons why I love Easy Delicious Oven Roasted Chicken.
Reason #1: It truly is easy. And delicious. It takes ten minutes, or less, to prep and the combination of crispness and juciness that comes out of the oven is nothing short of delicious. Not like beef delicious, but pretty darn tasty for chicken.
Reason #2: I get to say “spatchcock” and that is a funny word. It is also a great technique to use in getting that perfect combination of crispness and juiciness. If you are not sure what the word “spatchcock” means let alone how to do it to your chicken, here is a little how-to tutorial from the one and only Martha Stewart.
Reason #3: The leftovers from Easy Delicious Oven Roasted Chicken leave the door wide open for a plethora of leftover-makeover options… barbecue shredded chicken sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, green salad topped with chicken, black bean and corn chicken burritos, chicken and rice, white chicken chili… I could keep going, but I will spare you. The point is you can pretty much do whatever you want with the leftovers of this simple, yet delicious, recipe.
Reason #4: My family loves it! That’s right. My kids and my husband, who is sometimes more picky than the kids, eat it up!
So now that you know why I love this recipe, I would love to hear what you love about it. After you try it of course. Because you are going to try it, right? I’m kidding. But really if you do choose to try it, I do not believe you will regret it. Happy cooking!
Don’t forget the rules of food safety! Here is the short list:
- Always, wash your hands before and after handling raw meat.
- Never thaw meat on the counter, thaw in the refrigerator, microwave or cool water bath.
- Always wash cutting boards and plates after having been in contact with raw meat.
- Always cook to appropriate internal temperatures. Safe internal temperatures vary based on cut. Hamburger must reach a safe and savory 160 degrees, while steak is safe at 140 degrees.
- 1 whole 3-4 pound chicken, skin-on
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spatchcock the chicken. Lay the chicken flat, backside down, on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet backside down.
- Brush the entire skin-side with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes or until an instant read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, loosely tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes tented on the baking sheet.
- Slice, shred or simply cut into pieces, prepare your mouth for deliciousness, and serve with your choice of side.