We have been experiencing some less than spring like weather the past couple of days. As a result, hot chocolate has been the beverage of choice for my kids… and husband. When I shared the recipe for my beverage of choice a couple of weeks ago, I eluded to the fact that we have to get creative on account of our proximity to town. That creativity, and a lot of trial and error, most definitely came into play when the kids and I developed this recipe for the Best Homemade Hot Chocolate.
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- Add sugar and cocoa powder to a medium sauce pan and whisk together. Turn on the heat to medium-high and add the half and half, whisking until the cocoa, sugar, and half and half begin to boil and are completely combined.
- Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Once the hot chocolate reaches a simmer remove it from heat.
- Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or both - if you're feeling daring.
The whipped cream that tops the cup’o’hot chocolate featured here was homemade by friend Naomi. She blogs at From the Corner of the Circle L and her whipped cream is the best whipped cream I have ever consumed in all of my days. Not even kidding. And she was kind enough to let me share it will all of you. Enjoy!
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl. Make sure that the bowl is clean and cool. I rinse my bowl with cold water, then dry it prior to adding the ingredients.
- Beat on high until fluffy and stiff peaks are formed. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or keep in a covered glass bowl and save for later.